Carnegie Floodlit 9s Venue
|Headingley Carnegie Stadium|
|Date||Wednesday 25 August 2010|
|Event||Carnegie Floodlit 9s|
|Address||Headingley Carnegie Stadium
St Michaels Lane
|Phone||Ticket Office: 0871 423 1315|
|to be supplied|
From M1 and M62
There is a sign at the traffc lights showing "Headingley 1.5 miles". Stay in the right-hand lane. Turn right and go up the hill to another set of traffc lights at the crossroads. Carry straight on up Cardigan Road (Co-op is on the left). After the pedestrian lights and bus stop turn left into St Michael's Lane, signposted Headingley Stadium. The Ground is on your right-hand side.
Headingley Carnegie Stadium is one of the most iconic stadiums in world rugby. The famous venue has been home to the Leeds Rhinos for over 100 years.
Leeds St. Johns, who were later to become Leeds Rugby League Football Club then Leeds Rhinos, moved to Headingley in 1889 and built Headingley stadium. Since then the stadium has staged more than 40 international matches and countless domestic finals. The ground now has a capacity of 22,000. It is the second largest stadium in Leeds after Elland Road.
Headingley Carnegie hosted rugby league's first ever Challenge Cup final in 1897. In the 1930s, major developments took place on two sides of the rugby ground. The South Stand was completed in 1931, with some of the work being carried out by club players, whilst the old wooden North Stand was burned down during a match against Halifax on 25th March 1931. By the end of 1932, a new North Stand had been completed.
The record attendance at Headingley was 40,175 for the rugby league match between Leeds and Bradford on 21 May 1947. Undersoil heating was installed in 1963, and floodlights in 1966. The 1970 Rugby League World Cup final between Great Britain and Australia was played at the stadium. New changing rooms were added in 1991.
At the start of 2006, plans were announced for a historic redevelopment of the newly named Headingley Carnegie Stadium encompassing both the rugby and cricket stadia that will usher in a new and exciting future for one of the most famous stadiums in world sport.
The new name of Headingley Carnegie Stadium is as a result of a significant financial investment by Leeds Metropolitan University. The plans can now come to fruition following the successful purchase of the freehold of the cricket stadium and business by Yorkshire CCC from the owners since 1890, Leeds CF&A Co Ltd.
The plans include a new North/South Stand to replace the existing structure, which was built after fire destroyed the original stand in March 1932 and a new Pavilion and Media Centre for cricket at the stadium.
2005 was a groundbreaking year for the famous old ground when the first new development was started since the Main Stand fire in 1932 with the construction of the new Carnegie Stand to replace the old Eastern Terrace.
The new Carnegie Stand, incorporates 1,844 seats in its 4,550 capacity, and has been developed in partnership with Leeds Metropolitan University and gives the University’s Carnegie campus a permanent base at the Stadium.
The Carnegie Stand incorporates 12 classrooms and triples the number of disabled spaces currently available at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.
The project began on 11th October 2005 and was completed during the following season. Officially opening on 1 September 2006 for the Super League match between Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves.